Concerts & Recitals
Mele Kalikimaka Everyone!
Monday morning Scott and I both woke up to “Monday Mourning” just a little. Here comes another week. That feeling didn’t last long however. As the week unfolded, we were very blessed with many fun and enriching experiences.
Our store was very slow this week. I am hoping that it picks up and we will have more to do. The downside is that when it does pick up—the week before Christmas, many of our student employees will have gone home for Christmas, so the senior missionaries will need to stay until closing—7:30 p.m.
I canceled ukulele class on Monday because it was the yearly lighting ceremony on campus. Last year it was held on a Sunday evening and the whole community gathered with their families. The lawn in front of the McKay building was packed with people. There was a nice program with music and speakers. It was a memorable event. Ohhhhh, having expectations can really disappoint. This year there was a countdown from 10 to 0 and the lights switch was turned and that was it. It was literally over in ten seconds. Expectations! I shouldn’t have canceled ukulele class but at least it bought me another week to prepare all the Christmas music.
We were able to attend many Christmas concerts and recitals this week. The week before finals is filled with classes and clubs having their final recital of the semester. We enjoyed every one of them that we attended beginning with one last Saturday—the Concert Choir. Tuesday’s devotional was a Christmas program with many of the music groups on campus performing. Wednesday, we attended a piano recital, and Friday a “studio orchestra” recital with songs from the 50’s and 60’s. It was fabulous. We were pleasantly surprised that a director could make it fun and exciting for a group of students to play songs from that era in that style. I also attended a dance concert that showcased dances from the various Islands. The talent here is incredible. We will miss attending these types of events.
There has been interest from some of the missionaries for me to teach a “beginning ukulele” class. I didn’t want to commit to another night each week and reserve a room etc. so I told the group to come to our store on Tuesdays at 2:30 (when the store is slow) and I would give them a lesson there for several weeks until they are comfortable joining the other class on Monday nights. The sister who kept pushing for this beginner’s class really struggles to play. She might have arthritis in her hands, and she doesn’t remember things very well. Bottom line—she has a HUGE desire and absolutely no ability. If she ends up learning to play —that may be my biggest accomplishment on this mission. We shall see. I really hope that she can be successful. It makes me so happy when missionaries are successful in learning to play.
An oriental couple came in at the first of the week and bought an ukulele for their one-year-old. Yes—a one year old. Crazy! It was a $130.00 ukulele. Not real expensive, but not a cheap one either. Ivan tried to talk them into a child’s beginning model, but they wouldn’t consider it. Plus, they wouldn’t buy a case for the ukulele—their little boy would “just love carrying it around.” So, fast forward to Thursday. They came back in to show us that one string had broken and would we please fix it. DUH—we knew something would break on it. I explained that if you turn the tuning pegs too much, the string will eventually get stretched so much that it would break. The mother insisted that her son just loved the ukulele and had been very careful with it. Yeah, right. We told her that we would replace the string and one other string that she said was about to break. She then asked if she could just exchange it for a new ukulele. I couldn’t believe it! But I tried to be kind in my response, and yes that was hard. I pointed out all the scuff marks on the back of the ukulele and told her that we wouldn’t be able to sell it as a new one. The best we could do is put new strings on it. After she left, we began looking carefully and discovered that the bridge by the tuning pegs had been broken as well and that was what most likely made the string come off. Who knows? I know that there is a really good sacrament meeting talk in that story somewhere. I just haven’t figured it out yet.
We attended two “close the fast” dinners today. One in our student ward (this is the only one they hold all year long), and another one with the senior missionaries. We ate a little at each place. It was so nice to visit and eat and enjoy being with other people that we love. We are blessed to be here. There are so many things and people we will miss. At each close the fast meal, the group of missionaries sing “Aloha Oe” to the missionaries who are going home during the month. We sang to five couples tonight. I often get emotional as I look at each couple and realize how they have enriched our lives. You all are that same type of people. Thanks for enriching our lives! We love you.
Much love,
Sister Bleak, Mom, Grandma
How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:
*I found a “YouTube” video on the version of song we are going to sing for the Christmas eve program. Without a piano, I didn’t know how I would practice. So Thankful.
*I have had the energy and strength to work full days this week.
*The Honda dealership called right before Scott was about to leave to let us have a different appointment next week. Big tender mercy.
*Elder Mendenhall offered to come over and fix a “important location” plug that has been out of use for a while in our house.
Scott’s Journal Entry
Saturday, December 3, 2022
This was my first attempt at surfing. I went up to Castle Beach near Kahuku with the Mendenhalls, Royden and Pauline. He purchased a foam surfboard that has a soft surface from Costco. Great board for beginners. Thousands of people have them. I did get out in the water on their real surfboard. I just didn’t really surf. Actually, I tried to swim on the board to get out to the better waves that are behind the waves near the shore, but I didn’t make it out far enough past them to try real surfing. I got wet and got tossed around in the waves. I was really surprised at how wobbly the board was. Everyone makes it look so easy. It was so tipsy when I was laying down on the board. But I can really say, “I tried surfing.” I just didn’t really do it. I will try it again and see if I can get out past the first set of waves. This is a step-by-step process. Castle Beach is a really nice family-friendly beach that Gayle and I haven’t gone to before. Royden also came over to our house later to fix one of the outlets by Gayle’s bed, which made her very happy.







Comments
Post a Comment