The Hale Ohana

Sunday January 30, 2022   

Email #18

 

Aloha Family and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Bryan!

 

I hope that you all had a good week and that you are healthy.  I know many of you have dealt with a lot of sickness in your family.  We love hearing about all that is going on with you! Thanks for continuing to reach out.

 

I have really struggled writing the email this week.  There is hardly anything noteworthy to write about.  The advice from President Jackson when we left to come, was to write things according to the “small plates of Nephi” (spiritual things) and not the day to day things we do. Our mission doesn’t lend itself to experiences with finding, or teaching, or seeing lives changed.  But I will continue to share with you the small things that I do see as tender mercies and how the Lord has been in our life and experiences.  And one of our children told me to keep writing about the normal, daily occurrences because they love knowing what our day to day is like. So-- here you go:

 

I worked at the warehouse a few extra hours this week but nothing like the week before.  I worked longer on Wednesday trying to help another senior missionary get her order done before leaving.   

 

One thing that has been on my bucket list to do while here at the PCC is to drive one of the “utility carts” around at the PCC.  The carts are needed because the center is so huge it would take forever to walk to the various stores to deliver product etc.  The carts are really old and junky but I have wanted to drive one at some point just for kicks. I got my chance on Wednesday at the end of the day.  Sister Barton and I needed to go to “Goos” (the store she works at) to change the price on a few hats in that store.  She drove it there and I drove it back.  I guess it’s like driving a golf cart—which I have never done.  But think in terms of very old and rickety!  They have no power steering and was very jerky but I had a blast and was laughing and having such fun.  Hey—I look for simple pleasures while working at the warehouse. 

 

There is a single senior sister missionary here that I have been wanting to get to know better.  I have never had the opportunity to be with her and visit since coming here.  Normally on Wednesdays I eat lunch with whomever in the warehouse is going at that given time.  But that day—I found a place to eat by myself.  I had never eaten at this location before—a really remote, out of the way corner at the PCC.  Since the PCC is closed on Wednesdays, I would not normally see anyone during lunch but this (before mentioned) sister walked by and asked if she could eat with me.  We had a lovely conversation and got to know each other on a new level. 

 

I have been contemplating lately about how much I will miss Candi and Wink Scoville when they go home in three months.  The ukulele store just won’t be the same without them. And then I found out that in about a month--Jeff (Elder Arnett) will be working at a different location at the center for most of his daily hours.  I will be the only senior missionary at our store and it concerns me.  I’m hoping another couple will be assigned there, but we will see. 

 

One day this week Candi and Wink had luau duty and had to leave early.  A student that would have normally worked was assigned to help at another store so I would be the only person in our store.  No one else was scheduled to come in for another hour.  But Maika “happened” to come in an hour early that day.  She thought she was scheduled for 3:00 not 4:00.  It seems like a little thing but it was truly a tender mercy.  Another tender mercy—we were needing to get a ukulele for Scott to use while we are here. He is attending the class on Monday nights and wants to continue.  Since I have two other ukuleles in Bountiful, I didn’t necessarily want to buy another here.  Jeff (Elder Arnett) offered to let us use one he has sitting around.  Another tender mercy. 

 

This evening Scott and I were invited to attend a meeting at our friends—The Barton’s.  They are senior missionaries and he works in the HR department. He has developed a program whereby senior missionary couples will be given about 15 “I works” students to mentor and lend emotional support.  So many students arrive here from one of the Polynesian islands and they are dealing with so many new things—new language, culture, school, job, roommates, food, and more.  They just have a hard time handling all the stress in their life.  So the mentor missionary couple would be there to support and help in whatever way we can.  This is a pilot program being done by a few couples to begin with and we so very excited to be a part of it.  Hopefully we can make a difference in their lives. We should get the list of “our students” in a few days.  This is really exciting!

 

Have a wonderful week!  We love you all very much.  We pray for you daily and are grateful to each of you for living the Gospel and striving to be such good people. 

 

We love you with all of our hearts!  Have a wonderful week!

Mom, Grandma

 

P.S. the PCC just opened up a third luau venue—The Hale Ohana.  It had been closed because of covid.  Scott had been working on options to increase the visibility of the stage for the patrons. 

 

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

 

*We have been praying for Katelyn to be able to get a day shift position at her work. She recently got notification that she will be switched to days in a couple of months.

*Maika came in an hour early for her shift.  That was a huge blessing to me.  

*We were offered a ukulele for Scott to use.

*I was able to meet up with Jean at lunchtime.   

*Our efforts of fasting and prayers have been heard and someone close to us has received direction on a matter of great concern. 

 





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu