Bryan and Jennie

Sunday May 15, 2022   

Email #33

May 9-May 15, 2022

 

We have enjoyed another visit from family this week.  Bryan and Jennie have been with us since Wednesday. We have had a wonderful time together.  We are blessed to be serving in a place that is a destination for family coming.  Would you still come if we were serving in Arkansas?  I know Stephanie would! 😊  We have enjoyed sitting at the beach, the PCC, playing games, yummy food, lots of talking and driving around.  We got to attend the night show at the PCC and that particular night they included the finals for the fire knife competition—which is a big deal here.  It was awesome to watch.  Bryan and Jennie also did some excursions without us while we worked at our jobs.  We have absolutely loved having them here. 

 

I have missed the Scovilles this week.  I am the “more seasoned” employee at times which makes me realize how much I don’t know but also causes me to step up to the plate and learn it if I don’t know it.  On Monday the registers were having problems again but luckily a “roaming supervisor” came to our store.  She also had problems getting them up and running.  I was glad she also had problems in a way.  Now I knew for sure it wasn’t just me.  I got some help on Friday with them and I hope the problem is solved.  What should take me 20 minutes to get them up and running has been taking me up to an hour at times. 

 

Wednesday evening a BYUH professor of psychology gave a presentation for the senior missionaries about mental health and how to deal with students who need assistance with it. I think that it was probably meant more for senior missionaries who are teaching the students on campus (BYUH missionaries) but there were a few of us PCC missionaries in attendance as well.  It was a wonderful presentation.  One thing that he talked about (among many others) that I have thought a lot about is the difference between two specific kinds of “time”.  Polychronic time and monochronic time.  We mainlanders are used to living by monochronic time.  We wear watches and are aware of time and aware of what time we should arrive at a place or appointment.  Most Islanders live by polychronic time meaning that being on time is not as important as taking time for relationship building.  So—if you see someone you know, then spend time with them and don’t worry about being late for the event.  (That is a VERY generalized example). Basically—they don’t care about time--they care that you care about them.   It helps us to understand this concept of time when working with the students. There are many things that are culturally based that we judge as being wrong because it’s not the way we are used to doing it. On Friday, it took me almost a half hour to walk from getting the store key and money bags to our store because of stopping and talking to people.  I spent at least 5-10 minutes talking with three different people on the way to the store.  I know that relationships are very important but it’s hard to do that when/if you are running late.  It is a tricky balancing act.  His comments have caused me to think about leaving home even earlier for events to be able to spend time with people we come across unexpectedly.  

 

I had been feeling discouraged last week after learning that most of the I-works students who worked at the Gateway found new/other jobs and would no longer be working there.  We were going to be starting all over again and I wondered if we had done any good at all.  I thought that most likely I would never see these students again.  But I got a text on Saturday from a girl who used to work there.  She wanted to know how Elder Bleak and I are doing.  She had gone into the Gateway during the week looking for us to chat a bit.  It felt so wonderful to be contacted by her.  And now I am ready to dig in and begin building relationships with the set of new students.  Even if we can help just a few—it will all be worth the time and effort. 

 

You are in our hearts and prayers.  Thanks for being such wonderful people!

 

Much love,

Sister Bleak, mom, grandma

 

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*Scott’s computer was delivered when Daniel (landlord) was out front.  He was able to receive it. Otherwise, we would have had to wait for the next delivery.

*I needed to run into a certain student PCC guide to ask a specific question. I seldom see her anymore.  I ran into her the day I needed it.

*A “roving manager” was at our store when I needed to get into the registers and our normal login information wouldn’t work.  She has never been there before but was able to use her login information.  Otherwise—I wouldn’t have been able to open on time.  

*I was able to give some advice to our store manager concerning her daughter.

*I found an unlocked door at a church at 7 am Saturday morning to be able to practice the hymns for FHE the following Monday.  I couldn’t see or hear anyone at the church but was so grateful the one door was unlocked.  I really needed to have access to a piano.   







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu