Fathers AND Sons

Sunday June 19, 2022   

Email #38     

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!

 

Aloha Everyone!

 

Today I am grateful for covid.  I can’t believe I am saying that!  But without covid and the technology that came because of it, we would never have been able to attend Bryan and Jennie’s ward remotely to see Bryan sustained as bishop of their ward.  My heart hurt with not being able to be there in person.  But what a tremendous blessing now days to have another option. We loved listening to Bryan and Jennie bear their testimony.  We are also thankful that in Scott’s absence, Nathan was there to ordain him to the office of High Priest.  Both blessings—Nathan’s and the stake president’s were beautiful blessings.  We are thankful for all of you children for striving to live your lives in accordance with the Gospel.  We love you so much!

 

We missed our ward meeting today—Bryan’s meeting was the same time, so we attended a random ward in the stake center to partake of the sacrament.  A high counselor spoke about not knowing his father until he was about 30 years old.  He grew up in Samoa and they had a tradition of choosing one of their children to be sent away to be raised by the grandparents.  He was the third child and the one chosen to leave the home.  He didn’t know either of his parents growing up.  And NO!  We are not going to begin this tradition, so don’t begin deciding which child you want us to raise! It has been a great learning experience to know about traditions of the various Islands. 

 

I was interested in this week’s Come Follow me lesson when it talked about Saul being given a new heart. Unfortunately, he didn’t keep that heart and eventually it hardened and caused problems.  That story invited me to check my own heart and I realized that I also had hardened my heart.  I needed to pray to have it softened.  I had not been accepting of the new missionaries in our store as I should have been, and those thoughts were causing me “bad” feelings.  I repented—and I mean that in a very real sense. Through prayer and letting go and praying to have charity, I feel totally different about them now.   They are wonderful people, and I am excited to be working with them.  I learned that we need to have our heart checked regularly—in a spiritual sense.  I hope I am not being too personal by telling that story. I can’t put into words the change I went through, but it was real and I’m thankful for it. 

 

On Wednesday, Scott and I and other adults and students were able to tour the Kanilea ukulele factory. This is where most of our very expensive, handmade ukuleles are made.  It was fascinating and I learned a lot.  I loved it so much more than I thought I would.  I know much more about the woods (koa) and the grades of wood etc.  And now I better understand why the $6,000.00 ukuleles cost that much.  I wish I would have had that knowledge when I first began working at the store. 

 

While working at the visitor’s center today, I talked with a young sister missionary who is a quintuplet.  She and her four other siblings are all serving missions right now at the same time.  Can you imagine the life of those parents?  You go from having five children at home to being empty nesters in just a matter of a short period of time.  I can’t imagine paying for five missions at once.  That’s crazy and wonderful!

 

Today, I am grateful for the example of so many great fathers in my life!  The father of our children and eternal companion. I couldn’t have asked for a better man to be by my side. His greatest desire is to be obedient and keep the commandments.   My brothers and brothers-in-laws whom I love dearly.  My sons and sons-in-law-- I see them parent with patience and love and admire them greatly. And lastly—my own father and father-in-law.  They were men who had to raise families on next to nothing.  They worked hard to provide for their families and remained faithful to God in trying circumstances.  My father passed away 15 years ago today (thanks for the reminder, Joan).  I was blessed to have a father who believed in and loved me and all my siblings.  What a great example he was.  And thanks to my Heavenly Father and brother Jesus Christ.  They also believe in me and love me.  And through them, I can do all things. 

 

Have a wonderful week!

 

Much love to each of you,

Sister Bleak, mom, grandma

 

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*I received whisperings from the spirit about what I need to do to get out of the “depression” I had been feeling.

*I felt blessed to be able to feel happy in my work again.

*I was led to give a gift to a particular person in our mission.

*We couldn’t get the sacrament meeting link to work. After trying for ten minutes or so and being somewhat panicked, we had a prayer and it worked immediately afterwards. 

*I felt so much love for our family today—immediate and extended. 



 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu