Hukilau

Sunday July 31, 2022.   

Email #43. 

 

Aloha Everyone!  

 

Monday morning, we were able to listen to Janis Monk’s funeral (Stephanie’s grandmother).  What a remarkable woman she was.  When I first met her, I didn’t think that someone could be that happy all the time.  But she really was that way.  I’m so thankful that Stephanie had her as a positive influence in her life.  I’m so thankful for the technology that makes it possible to listen to these things, but sometimes it can be frustrating.  We were able to listen to most of Amanda’s and Stephanie’s talks and the special musical number by the grandchildren, (we loved it) but then the sound began having problems and the last talk was nothing but garbled words.  We couldn’t understand one word of that talk. We felt really blessed that we could listen to as much as we did—especially Stephanie’s talk.  You were amazing Stephanie!

 

The missionary ukulele class Monday night was packed. There were 30 or so in attendance.  We needed to keep setting up chairs.  I ran out of some of the copies of songs, and I know a few who normally come that weren’t there that night. I hope that this is a sign that people are having a good time in the class, and that it’s worth their time to make the effort to come.

 

It has gotten hotter here.  I know that 87 degrees isn’t that hot compared to the summer you have had in Utah, but those five extra degrees with the humidity has made a difference lately.  I use a neck fan at work and that is the only way I survive each day.  We have “AC” (wall units), but they can’t keep the place cool when we open the doors at 12:30 each day. We are required to keep all three big doors open.  My neck fan broke on Friday, and I was so sad.  At one point I had sweat running down my face.  I was determined to buy another fan ASAP but it wouldn’t be here for a week or so.  I told Elder Arnett about it breaking, and he told how I might be able to fix it and it worked!  It was truly a big tender mercy. I’m so thankful.  I hope it gets me through the summer.  

 

Saturday morning, we went to a real live hukilau.  This has been on my bucket list for a while now.  We have tried to be involved before but then the hukilau would get cancelled.  A hukilau is a way of fishing invented by the ancient Hawaiians. The word comes from huki, meaning pull, and lau, meaning nets. A large number of people, usually family and friends, would work together in casting the net from shore and then pulling it back. This weekend it was “Laie days” and the community did a hukilau as part of the celebration.  It was fun to be there and witness it in person.  Many of the senior missionaries were in attendance—unplanned.  Some of us knew that it was on the schedule but wasn’t sure it would happen.  The Bartons can see Hukilau beach from their balcony and notified everyone that was indeed going to take place.  There were three things I was surprised at: (1) The net was so much longer than I imagined.  The boatman did a huge half circle taking the net out and back around to the shore to gather in the fish.  (2) There were fewer fish than I had imagined.  And they said that this was a pretty good catch.  (3) The fish were all the same variety.  I expected many different types and sizes and colors.  They told us that many would eat the fish right there---raw—on the spot.  Hmmmm.  Not me.

 

As the net came in, I saw in my mind’s eye Jesus’ disciples bringing in the net after they had been fishing all night and catching nothing. And then Christ telling them to cast their net on the other side.  The net was filled miraculously.  I love to hear about miracles in people’s lives.  Christ is real and He is there to help us.  This I know. 

 

Just a side note:  In the 1940's, a chapel in Laie accidentally burned down. The saints needed to raise $55,000.00 to build a new one.  Laie residents decided to stage a hukilau - to attract paying tourists from Waikiki.  In 1948, the people of Laie managed to attract 2,000 paying visitors to the hukilau – an amazing feat in those uncertain days after World War II! The hukilau was held once a month and charged each person $3.00.  The community was able to raise the money that they needed for the chapel.  After participating in the hukilau, singer Jack Owens wrote “The Hukilau Song” - the well-known Hawaiian melody - that is still sung at luaus today. (The beach it was done at is named “Hukilau beach”.  Faith’s grandparent’s (The Gardners) “time share” is the house next to this beach.)  I love how resourceful the saints were in coming up with a plan to raise the money for the chapel.  

 

We love you all. We pray for you.  Have a wonderful week!

 

Much love,

Sister Bleak, Mom, Grandma

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*We got to listen to Amanda and Stephanie’s talks and the children sing before the sound was muffled and then we didn’t hear another word of the funeral.

*I had been praying for “E” and contacting her with no result. I fervently prayed for her to get back to me.  At luau, she ran outside and threw her arms around me. We finally got to talk.

*A co-worker bought me a set of dry erase markers when mine got taken after leaving it at class.

*I was helped to be able to fix my neck fan.

*We felt prompted to take ice cream over to someone who was sick. She told me that that particular ice cream was what she had been hoping to have.

 

 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu