Have I Made a Difference?

Sunday August 28, 2022.   

Email #47.  

Happy Birthday Kellie!

 

Aloha Everyone!

 

Dad and I missed you a lot this week while you were all vacationing at Bear Lake.  I thought of you often and wished that we could magically be there for a few hours each day and then be magically transported back to Laie each evening.  But we were thankful to be a part of the evening devotionals via Face Time.  Thanks for including us.  Although we missed you, we are still so very grateful that we get to be here serving this mission.  We feel blessed and grateful for all we get to do, see, and experience each week.  And I feel like we are all being blessed while we are serving.  I know that the Lord is aware of each of us and is mindful of everything that is going on in ours and your lives. 

 

The exciting news about the ukulele store this week is that the “waterfall” ukulele sold.  It is the premier ukulele that the Kanilea company made for 2022.  They only made 50 of them and our store got one.  It sold for $6500.00 to a man who doesn’t play the ukulele.  AMAZING!  It is a beautiful piece of artwork as well as very wonderful instrument to play.  I used to love to get it down and play it occasionally, and after it sold, I missed it.  I think we all got attached to it in a way and we loved showing it to the customers because it is unusual in many ways.  

 

One of the Senior missionaries had two daughters visiting this past week and they came to the class Monday night. The next day they came in the store. It was just a quick walk through and out the other door but one of the daughters turned around, came back, and said to me, “Because of the class last night, I was inspired and went right home and wrote a song, so thanks”.  She didn’t elaborate on the song—maybe someday I will know more about it.  But I do know that music makes most people feel things.  Hopefully, it lifts spirits and brings happiness and often helps us feel the spirit.  Ken recommended that I listen to a two-part podcast this week called “Follow Him”.  The guest was Michael McLean.  He is a terrible singer, but he is an incredible songwriter.  His songs really speak to me. Here are the words to one of his songs that resonate with me right now.

 

“Have I made a difference at all? Have I made a difference at all? Maybe. Sometimes, probably not that much. If a difference has been made, it's not for me to judge, but do I make a difference at all? Do I make a difference at all? I just keep on trying. I won't stop myself, even if I'm not sure if all the trying helps, but I'll try and try and try and try. And maybe one day I'll see that the difference I have tried to make made all the difference in me.”

 

I got emotional while listening to it because I so want to make a difference here and yet, in the end, if I am changed--that is all that really matters. I have seen some changes lately and I feel like I have been guided by the spirit in ways I need to change.  I am happy about that.   

 

Scott and I went to get tacos at the food truck in Kuhuku after work on Friday.  This is a place we eat at a couple of times a month.  While we were finishing up, a young man came a sat down at our table and began talking with us.  He had darker skin and long dark hair and told us that he is here in Laie to be in the filming of the Book of Mormon video about Helaman and the 2,000 warriors.  He has some speaking parts, and I can’t wait to see if we recognize him when we watch that episode. He looks like he fits the part of a stripling warrior.   He said that he also has been in some “The Chosen” episodes.  He was delightful and I love that our badge tells people who we are, and it is an invitation for others to approach us. 

 

We were invited to eat dinner at the Welch’s (senior missionaries serving at BYU) home this afternoon. The Welch’s are amazing, intelligent, spiritual people.  He is a scripture scholar and they have had opportunities to travel and teach and I am in awe when I listen to them.  They have co-authored a book called, “The Parables of Jesus”.  At the end of the meal, they graciously gave us a copy.  We are thrilled and can’t wait to study it.

 

A couple of weeks ago, Scott contacted a former BYU gymnastics teammate—Werner Hoeger.  When Werner found out that we are serving a mission here, he asked if we would go by his friend’s house (Coach K) to give him and his wife Werner’s love. Werner taught here at BYU for a couple of years and became best friends with this couple.  Coach K had a brain injury a few years back and doesn’t function normally anymore.  We did that visit tonight and as is typical for Hawaiians—the Aloha spirit just permeated the house and a quick visit turned into a meaningful friendship in a short amount of time.  We left with two very large avocados, two breadfruits and warm hugs and stories.  This culture is so warm and welcoming.  I hope it rubs off on me.  I am usually anxious to make it short and run to my next thing.   That is certainly not the culture here.  They take whatever time is necessary to talk, love, teach and give.  What a great lesson for me. 

 

We love you dearly.  Thanks for your prayers and loving support.  Have a wonderful week!

 

Much love,

Sister Bleak, Mom, Grandma

 

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*A very gracious senior missionary has helped me know how to handle my paper work electronically for the Monday night class.

*I felt the spirit as I listened to Michael McLean on the podcast.

*I was disturbed and distracted by very loud music outside our “study” but wanted to keep the windows open to get the breeze, otherwise it is vey hot!  Just when I decided to shut the window to study the scriptures, the car (with the music) drove away.  

*I felt the power of the atonement work in my life when I woke up and all my feelings of anger from the day before were gone. 

*We were protected from having an accident when an older woman did not stop at the four way stop. 

*We have been blessed with many good people here that we can learn from. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu