It's HOT!
Sunday August 21, 2022.
Email #46.
Happy Birthday Adlee!
Aloha Everyone!
It is officially hot here now. This week has been noticeably hotter. We went to bed Thursday night, and it was 86 degrees upstairs in our home. When we woke up, it was 84 degrees. We have no AC upstairs. Thank heavens for ceiling fans, they make such a difference. The daytime temperatures are only high eighties, but it is much more humid now and not as much breeze, thus, much more uncomfortable. We probably have 2-3 more weeks of this and then maybe it will begin cooling off. I feel sweaty and sticky most of the time. It just helps me appreciate having the luxury of air conditioning back home. That will be nice to have next summer.
After ukulele class on Monday night, I worked with a senior missionary who had previously asked me for individual “private” lessons. I really didn’t want to get into that, so I asked her if I could help her after class. She wanted help with strumming and picking. I don’t know that I helped her that much. I honestly don’t play that well myself. It’s funny that I am even teaching this class because I used to only teach ukulele to the 4th-6th graders for three or four class periods each year. Looking back—I pretty much stunk and I’m not that much better now. It’s not that I am the best player! I am just willing to do it. After our “mini lesson”, she confided in me that she has a lot of anxiety and thinks badly about herself and really struggles with believing that she is “good enough” in anything in life. But the work, effort, and time she has put into learning how to play the ukulele has made a huge difference in her life. She said that her husband recognizes that she is much happier now and has a better attitude. With tears in her eyes, she thanked me for teaching the class and making a difference in her life. That was a payday! I guess I will keep going. You just never know how what you do might affect someone else.
Occasionally, I teach “in store” ukulele lessons to people who have such long fingernails that it is very hard for them to play. But I was shocked at the fingernails one teenage girl had this week! (see picture). I modified the chords for her and I hope she left feeling successful.
Scott and I drove to the airport Wednesday evening to pick up a student who works at my store who had been on the mainland for a month. It ended up being a three-hour trip and made for a long day, but the good news was that Scott and I had a wonderful conversation on the way down south and the drive is so pretty, it’s not right to complain. We each expressed things that we feel like we fall short in and how we want to change. I’m so thankful to be married to a man who is patient with me as I try to make changes and grow. I wish that I could learn these life lessons a little quicker. I think my faults are being pointed out more readily here on my mission, or maybe I am finally in a place to recognize my faults more easily. I am thankful and discouraged at the same time. Why is change so hard?
We got up very early Saturday morning to meet with four other couples to go snorkeling at Paradise Cove. Elder Barton had rented a van, so we all got to drive together and that was a lot of fun. I love paradise Cove but yesterday the water was murky and I didn’t see near as many fish as last time we went with Nathan and Stephanie. We saw the turtles which was always so much fun. On the way home we stopped by “surf and salsa” and ate lunch together and also stopped our new favorite dessert place to buy some “snow puffies”. They are like a cream puff, but the outside is a very flaky French pastry. VERY YUMMY! It was just a very enjoyable day. We are blessed to have such good friends here.
Today we went to an extra sacrament meeting to listen to Ebbygael (form Indonesia) give a talk in church. She is the girl I have been working with in her English skills. The best part was when her face lit up at seeing Scott and I walk into the chapel. It is a delight to be involved in the student’s lives.
We had a great day of talking with family today. We were able to visit with several siblings on both sides of the family and with most of our children. We love hearing what is going on in your lives and how you are doing. You are wonderful people who are striving to live the commandments and be Christ-like, caring, and productive. Thanks for being such great examples to us.
Much love,
Sister Bleak, Mom, Grandma
How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:
(Most of these will not make sense to you)
*We couldn’t find the electronic version of the Arnett book on Scott’s computer. After a prayer, Scott was able to find it.
*Carolina submitted her note to me for the book within the deadline to cancel and then re-submit.
*I ran into sister Mattinson to let her know she needs to make a ukulele book before next Monday.
*Elder Bowman came into our store to buy a tuner and I really needed to talk with him to have him get music before class next Monday. And Sister Sanders had just returned hers to me before he walked in so he could borrow hers.
*I got an answer to prayer in the temple.
*The thought came to me of what game we could play at our district party. Nothing was coming before that time.






Comments
Post a Comment