More Friends Going Home

Sunday August 29-September 4, 2022.   

Email #48.  

Happy Birthday Scott! 

 

Aloha Everyone!

 

We are so sorry to learn that many family members have been sick this week. We hope that you are on the mend and will be feeling better soon.  You are in our thoughts and prayers.

 

The BYU students here began fall semester on Wednesday so the “summer schedule” is over and we now have the old schedule of them working only 19 hours a week, and of the PCC being closed on Wednesdays.  Which means—back to working at the warehouse on Wednesdays and back to me going in earlier on M, T, Th, F to open the store and the registers.  There is one big difference—I have two other senior missionaries helping me now. Well, not helping with the registers yet.  They are in the process of learning.  Friday was the BIG day—for them to open one register each by themselves.  We finally got all three up and running and about 60 seconds later the power went off and all three shut down.  We went through the whole process again and just when we had to capability to help customers check out—the power went off again.  We brought the registers up a third time (each time takes 10-15 minutes per register).  The power has never gone off that way and to have it happen twice back to back was weird.  The store was very slow all week long.  The numbers are down at the PCC.  You can sure tell that family vacation time is over, at least until fall break and holiday time. 

 

New student orientation was held on Tuesday, and I had the opportunity to help again this semester, but this time it was serving brunch.  There was not much of a chance to meet or interact with the students like there was during the spring semester orientation.  Over 250 new students came to the orientation.  I imagine that they were feeling many conflicting feelings.  What a great privilege it is for them to attend school here but there is also a lot they have to get used to. And a couple of students told me that they were overwhelmed.  It’s a lot to bite off all at once.  I’m glad I’m not that age.

 

Instead, I am my age and I was in pain most of the day Tuesday. My feet were very swollen and hurting, and my left hip hurt every time I took a step.  My right knee hurt and the pain in my neck was more intense than normal. I went home from work exhausted.  I just wanted to go to bed but earlier that day I was asked to go sub at the ARP meeting at 9:00.  I really didn’t want to go, but I went anyway.  And I am so glad that I did.  Finally, a female came to the meeting, and we actually held class.  And she brought two friends with her.  They are all darling girls.  They were open and honest, and I felt the spirit several times as we all shared and expressed our feelings. I was energized by that meeting and forgot about all my physical pain.  I feel grateful that I could forget about myself for that time and concentrate on others. 

 

I was happy to be at the warehouse on Wednesday except for the heat.  There is no AC at all, and it is very hot in that building.  It was fun to be with Ilene and Diane but I missed Jill sooo much.  It just wasn’t the same without her. Wednesday evening the PCC had a “party” for all employees and their families.  There was entertainment, bounce “houses”, games, pickle ball, food trucks, raffles etc.  It was a celebration for making it through the long summer.  I feel like the party was a success.  Even though each employee was given a $20.00 food voucher, Scott and I were tied up helping at the entrance with checking people in and giving out the vouchers.  By the time we got to go eat, the lines were so long, we didn’t get to eat what we wanted and more or less wasted our vouchers.  

 

Scott and I were asked to continue as district leaders.  Each leader will have more responsibility now than in the past.  We have been asked to meet with our district twice a month.  In the past it was once a month which was very hard to do because of varying schedules.  It is going to be interesting to make twice a month work.  We now have 12 in our district—four couples and four single sisters.  We are also responsible to make sure everyone is doing well—basically minister to them.  This is supposed to replace the whole mission group activities and bring it down to the district level.  And there should be a spiritual element to each time we meet.  There will be many obstacles to overcome.  We cannot fit 12 people in our little apartment let along host a dinner or entertain.  We will see how it all works out.  

 

When we came on our mission almost a year ago, there were six couples in the MTC together.  One couple has already returned home (medical problems) and two more will leave in 9 days.  We all joined together Saturday night to visit, eat and give last goodbyes.  I will especially miss the Arnetts.  They have worked at the ukulele store and are dear, dear friends.  Jeff makes the store so fun. At times I have been jealous that they are going home, and we aren’t.  At other times, I am glad that we have some more time here.  Sometimes the days are long but the months go by fast.  I hope that I can hold up physically for six more months. 

 

We also celebrated the Arnetts at a farewell party earlier that morning.  It was for the employees of our store and others that the Arnett’s invited.  We all sang a song together.  Jeff played the guitar and sang and we accompanied him and sang on the chorus.  We had so much fun preparing and performing the song.  I’m really tired of saying goodbye to dear friends—especially the ones who live out of state and that we most likely will never see again. 

 

Life is good.  God is good.  We are doing well.  Have a wonderful week.  Love you all!

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*I felt the spirit in the ARP meeting.  I’m glad that I agreed to sub that evening.

*I felt like I should check a price at the warehouse on one item and found out the whole box needed to be changed.

*I felt the spirit as the Gasts and Arnetts shared stories of their experiences of their missions. 

*I received strength when I needed it to make it through the day (Tuesday). 

 

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu