Elder Soares
Sunday January 29, 2023.
Email #69 HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRYAN!
Aloha Everyone!
It has been a wonderful week this week. Even though work was slow and there was not a lot to do, I had a wonderful time with my co-workers having meaningful conversations and singing and playing together. I knew that I needed to look at work differently and make it a good experience for myself and others, so I prayed for a change of heart and tried to change my attitude and things were much improved this week.
The ukulele class Monday night did not go as planned. Many of the “regulars” who normally attend did not go and most of the people in attendance were beginners. Some had never been to class before. I had planned and prepared to teach skills that were too advanced for that audience, and I couldn’t change my power point presentation that late in the game. I did the best I could under the circumstances but went home feeling badly about the experience. The next day one of my co-workers told me that she had loved class and had learned so much and thanked me for it. I was caught off guard. I try to have something there each time for every level of experience. It was wonderful to get some positive feedback when I thought I had failed.
We had the privilege of going to the Tuesday morning BYU devotional. It was a panel group of five. Elder Holland was supposed to be in attendance but ended up not being able to come because of a family situation that kept him at home. The panel was made up of Elder Christopherson, Sister Camille Johnson—general RS president, Elder Paul Johnson, President Kauwe (BYUH president), and Elder Gilbert—church education commission. The meeting was wonderful, and the spirit was strong. I left feeling such gratitude to belong to the church and being able to have these types of experiences. The main thing I took away from the hour was the power that comes from making and keeping covenants. Elder Gilbert: talking about President Nelson’s talk --Our safety will be in our commitment to keeping our covenants. From Sister Johnson—look for Jesus in the temple. He is everywhere there. Elder Christopherson—Look at our trials as a time for the Lord to prove himself to us. He is faithful and keeps His covenants to us.
Wednesday night there was a big “employee recognition” celebration at the PCC. The PCC had it’s biggest year ever in 2022 and they wanted to have a party to thank everyone for their hard work. It’s pretty amazing since the world was just coming out of the pandemic and the center had to build up again from having shut completely down. The PCC knows how to celebrate! While working at the warehouse that morning, we were told that Pounder restaurant was serving breakfast for everyone working at the PCC that day. We went over there and enjoyed eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, rice, chicken and drinks. It is so fun to have these things come up at the last minute and be a surprise. The celebration in the evening began at 5:00 with box plates handed out to all the PCC employees. They had a raffle drawing for big prizes that night including apple watches, go-pros and a TV. The show (celebration) was terrific. When they do something here entertainment wise—they do it big. The celebration ended with fireworks as the conclusion. It was a great celebration. This October they will be celebrating 60 years since the opening of the PCC. It will be huge celebration. I wish we could be there.
We got to attend the Bjarnson’s farewell party (breakfast) on Friday. The Bjarnsons were in the group who came to this mission right before our group. That means—we are next to go home. I work with Diane at the warehouse on Wednesday, so I have been able to get to know her well and will miss her. We have made so many dear friends here. It’s always hard to say goodbye.
Saturday morning the entire mission had a devotional with Elder Soares. The devotional was wonderful. I felt like I really needed that shot in the arm to finish this mission strong. We were supposed to show up at the Visitor’s Center before 10:15 to get a group photo taken with Elder Soares. Afterwards we walked over to the stake center where we were individually allowed to shake Eder Soares’ hand. We were given strict instructions beforehand to not talk with him or ask him any questions. We were to just shake his hand and go into the chapel and quietly wait for him to come in and the meeting to begin. I will quit telling this part and let you read Scott’s journal entry down below.
The meeting was very special. I felt the spirit so strongly at times. Elder Soares told a couple of stories that were very touching. He talked about our attitude determining our altitude. That we should serve others at every opportunity. Success is when you get in bed at night and are happy and feel fulfilled because you gave your all for that day---no matter what happened in your day.
And that is how I felt this week. I gave more of my all than I had been doing and it truly made a difference. We were so blessed to have him come.
We were able to spend some time with Ashlianne and Ben Drewry on Sunday. What a wonderful couple they are. They are most likely the last company to come to our home here. I have missed emotions about that thought. We have been blessed to have lots of visitors here. It’s all winding down now.
We are happy and healthy. Life is good! We love you all.
Have a wonderful, happy week!
Much love,
Sister Bleak, Mom, Grandma
How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:
*I felt the spirit in the Tuesday devotional and was motivated to understand better the power of my covenants.
*I received a tip about an Air BNB to use in Nauvoo in June and the owner changed his own plans to let us stay there.
*I felt the spirit during the devotional with Elder Soares and felt so privileged to serve as a missionary.
*In making a chart for work I was prompted to go back and check something. I had made a mistake that could have potentially caused hurt feelings.
We just got back from a devotional meeting with all the Laie Mission missionaries with Elder Soares. We met at the temple site in the morning to have a mission picture all together in front of the temple. He had just come from his hotel and joined us for that. Then we proceeded to the stake center to greet and shake his hand before the meeting. We were instructed not to make conversation with him while in line. But when it was our turn to shake hands, he remembered meeting me at the church office building and said, “I remember you. You worked for the church. What department were you in?” So, he started a brief conversation with us in line and President and Sister Bassett were right next to him, I’m sure thinking, “you’re not supposed to talk with him. Keep the line moving.” But he started the conversation. Once back in my employment days, he wasn’t a member of the Twelve and came into the cafeteria to eat. I mentioned to him about my son, Jordan, just having met with him in his mission in Argentina. That was also a brief conversation. But he remembered that brief meeting. It was special that he would remember such a brief encounter. Then on the way out from our meeting this morning, he exited down the isle in which we were seated, and I was sitting next to the isle, he was waving good bye to everyone, he patted my shoulder as he walked by. That is a small brief special memory for Gayle and me.



Comments
Post a Comment