Exit Interview

Sunday February 26, 2023.   

Email #73

 

Aloha Everyone!

 

Maybe it is part of the whole process but early in the week I had feelings of regret for things I did not do and should have done on our mission or could have done more diligently. I think the biggest regret is that I could have done more for the members of our ward this semester.  I didn’t get to know the students like I had the past semesters.  But then I scolded myself and tried to think of the good things I have done. It doesn’t do any good to dwell on the negative.  It helped my mind set to be honored at some “parties”.  It is tradition that you have a farewell party given by the department that you work for at the PCC.  Scott’s party was on Tuesday.  It was coupled with another senior missionary--Tom Kendall—who also works in that department.  It was a very nice event. Scott will be very missed by his co-workers.  He has been such a good influence on them.  He would often have co-workers plop down in a chair across from him and want to talk and get his advice. 

 

My department party was with Ilene Barton since she and I both work in retail. Each of our managers said nice things about us and we were fed a lovely brunch.  We were given leis by many people as a thank you and to show their love.  I LOVE this tradition and I LOVED the gesture so much but the weight and fragrance of them was overwhelming and I was looking forward to taking them off as soon as I got home. I feel so bad to have to throw them all away in a couple of days.  I know some of them were very expensive.

 

We had a mission devotional (zone meeting) Tuesday night.  President Bassett and his wife talked about finding joy in all we do here.  One can find joy even in trials and hardships. It reminded me of the quote by President Nelson—“the joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives.” Our focus should not be on what we are doing all day long—our jobs.  Our focus should be on Jesus Christ. They also talked about the power that is with us because of covenants we have made. Our focus should be on the Savior, and we will find love and joy. I know that reading someone else’s notes doesn’t hold a candle to being there. It was a fabulous devotional.  I will miss being able to attend them and being spiritually filled.   

 

I wasn’t expecting Wednesday to be my last day at the warehouse, but we were celebrated there as well (just well wishes and some thoughts about us).  So, I guess maybe I won’t go work there next Wednesday.  They announced that it was our last day there.  We will see.  Since I only work there once a week, I am not as attached to those students, but I still love them and am so thankful to have known them. 

 

On Thursday when I arrived at work, and Sister Young (another senior missionary) told me that Gloria Bowman was sick and that their tickets were available for the Jake Shimabukuro concert that night in Honolulu.  Jake Shimabukuro is a very famous ukulele player here on the Island and does concerts all around the world. She invited Scott and I to go but we had luau duty that night, so I declined.  Later, another senior missionary encouraged me to go, and I thought—why not!  This is a chance of a lifetime.  I found people to work our luau shift and we went.  Jake is an incredible player. You should look him up on You tube.  I don’t understand how anyone can make their fingers and hands move that way. WOW! He was incredible. 

 

We had our exit interview with President and Sister  Bassett this morning.  It was a wonderful experience.  Sister Bassett asked us to share what we had learned while on our mission.  I told them that for me--when I first got to the mission, I wondered if working at Mahinalani was all there was going to be to the mission.  Was this really it for 18 months?  Later I discovered that my “job” was to work in the ukulele store, but my “work” was to be with the students and mentor them and to try support, uplift and help them.  As I was pondering that thought one day, and feeling a little smug about my ability to help them, the spirit spoke right to me in my thoughts and I “heard”—“no Gayle, you are here to learn from them.”  I was humbled by that thought and I thought about it a lot.  And then later, I remembered what Ken has said a few times to us—A mission is for the missionary!  This mission was for me to learn and grow.  I wasn’t here to help anyone necessarily. I hope I have made a difference in other’s lives, but I know the mission has made a difference in my life.  I have seen weaknesses that I need to work on and have tried to sincerely repent for things I didn’t know I needed to repent of. When Scott mentioned some things he has learned here and how he wished he had learned them sooner, President Bassett commented that growth of this type is just something you have to go through.  No one can teach you that.  I agree.

 

The day was topped off with a district asking Scott to present his temple presentation fireside. Our friends the Wolthuis came (residents here) and with them they brought the temple president and matron and Michael Ballam and his wife and son.  The spirit was strong as he did his presentation and Michael Ballam added some stories here and there about being in Rome at the dedication. It was an enlightening evening.  Another—“last time” event.  

 

Other highlights of the week:

-Watching DonShowalter’s father’s funeral,

-Visiting with The Gardners.

-Attending our last BYUH choral concert 

-Our last district meeting.  An emergency preparedness lesson and walk.

I am feeling such gratitude tonight for the many experiences we have had and for the wonderful privilege it has been to serve with my sweetheart.  He has been patient and kind and loving.  I’m so thankful for him. 

 

Have a wonderful, happy week!  We will see you in eleven days. 

Much love,

Sister Bleak, Mom, Grandma

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*Feeling somewhat discouraged and having some regrets, I felt feelings from the spirit of some good things I have done while here.

*I found someone going to Honolulu who could pick something up for me.

*I went to a different post office (I never go to that one), and ran into Ebby.  We had a nice conversation. 

*Right before leaving for work, I felt the crockpot and realized that I hadn’t plugged it in. 

*I found two people to work our luau shift to be able to go to the concert.

*Our exit interview with the mission president was a very sweet experience.

*The spirit was very strong during Scott’s presentation.

 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Honolulu