Names

Sunday February 5, 2023.   

Email #70 

 

Aloha Everyone!

 

Covid struck our household again this week.  Scott tested positive on Monday.  He stayed home all week. He is doing much better and finally ventured out today donning a mask.  What a weird virus.  He didn’t get it from me back in November but got it now—go figure.  And we both had it a year ago.  I hope we are done for a while.

 

Each Island at the PCC does an annual devotional.  I attended the “Hawaii” devotional yesterday (Scott stayed home) and was excited about the theme which was: What have you done with my name?” The first three talks were given by students and were good talks about their family name and their first names they were given at birth.  One mentioned that he was expected to carry on his good name.  It made me reflect on our heritage and the good names we were given and honor.  I then reflected on the name I wear as a missionary and how thankful I am to wear Christ’s name on my chest each day.  What have I done with His name?  I try to honor it as well and be a good representative of His name.  How thankful I am for my heritage from eternal parents.  Right when the keynote speaker was about to give his talk, the power went out and the microphone was gone.  I couldn’t hear what he had to say because he used a normal talking voice.  But—the entertainment went on in the semi-darkness.  I was touched when they called up some elderly Hawaiian people who were in the audience to the stage to dance the hula.  They honor their elderly people here on the Island.  They are revered as wise and knowledgeable and highly respected.  I love that. 

 

Speaking of names--we attended the baby blessing for the daughter of Wilmar and Juhyun Kim today. They used to live in our ward but moved to a bigger apartment when they had their baby.  Wilmar extended the invitation for us to attend yesterday and invited Scott to stand in the circle.  We were hesitant to go with Scott still coughing occasionally.  Knowing that Scott had been sick, she still wanted us to come, and our prayers were answered—Scott didn’t cough once during the blessing or during the whole meeting for that matter.  We were very grateful. 

 

Juhyun is from Korea and Wilmar is from the Philippines. Juhyun began the baby blessing in English, switched over to Korean early on, then switched to Tagalog and then back to English at the conclusion of the blessing. He is fluent in all three languages.  They gave her the name of Yoonseo Hiraya Lei Kim.  Yoonseo is Korean, Hiraya is Filipino and Lei is Hawaiian.  They are a darling couple and we felt privileged to be a part of this event. 

 

During our own ward’s testimony meeting today, a student named Munkhtaivan Boldbaatar from Mongolia bore her testimony. Her husband’s name is Lkhagvasuren. She thanked people for helping her and her husband with the aftereffects of the fire they had in their apartment.  I had no idea their apartment had been on fire a week and a half previously.  In speaking with her after the meeting, I learned that there was a gas leak in the oven/stove.  She was home and saw smoke coming out of it and then it burst into flames.  The help arrived quickly but they lost almost everything in their apartment to either fire, chemicals or smoke damage.  I asked them what they needed because we are going home soon and have things we would love to give to them.  She said that they are equipped with everything they need because so many people came to help and brought everything they needed.  I felt terrible that I wasn’t one of those people.  I pushed a little farther letting them now that we would really love to help.  The husband said—“We would love for you to come and visit us”.  Then he invited us to their house for dinner that very day.  I was amazed!  Here they are the ones in need, and they are inviting us to come to dinner.  We told them we would love to another day but today wouldn’t work out. I learn so much from these students.  I hope I can retain all these lessons.  We are very blessed to be here.

 

The mission had the Aloha Oe for the Bartons tonight.  They came out with us from the MTC and are our dearest friends here.  We (and one other couple serving at BYU) are the next ones to say goodbye to.  I know that it will come quickly. 

 

Have a wonderful, happy week!

Much love,

Sister Bleak, Mom, Grandma

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*I caught a mistake at the warehouse that saved a big hassle for the store a particular box was going to.

*A friend called and asked me if I needed anything at Costco while she was driving there.  I was very grateful.

*I felt inspired to send a certain video message to a friend.

*Wendy volunteered to help me at “ask me” since Scott couldn’t go.

*I felt like I should turn around during my walk, way before I normally do just in case it began raining.  I was almost back home when it began pouring. 

*Scott didn’t cough during the blessing or sacrament meeting









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exit Interview

Honolulu