God is Good

Sunday March 5, 2023.   

Email #74    FINAL EMAIL

 

Aloha Everyone!

 

God is so good.  We have seen His hand in our lives in abundance this week and we are so very grateful. And we have had many special, meaningful goodbyes. I’m not sure anyone says “good bye” in a more appreciative way than people here in Hawaii.   Here is a “run down” of our last week here:

 

Monday: Instead of teaching a traditional ukulele class for the seniors, I decided to have a “party”.  I had lined up some entertainment from some students who played and sang songs on their ukuleles and guitar while we chatted and ate refreshments. We played some group games and then sang and played our ukuleles together. At the end of the class, they sang “Aloha Oe” to Scott and I and gave us a gift from the group—a beautiful statue of ocean life with a sincere thank you note from the class. There were lots of hugs and “thank you’s”.  Most of the missionaries in the class had never picked up an ukulele before coming here.  But more than learning the ukulele, this class was a social experience for those who attended.  We all loved getting together and many told me that it was the best part of their week and something they looked forward to every Monday.  We went home feeling humbled and grateful that evening. About 10:30 p.m. Scott realized that he left his computer inside the classroom on campus where we held the party.  We wouldn’t be able to check the room until the next morning.  He drove to the building anyway hoping that it might be unlocked.  It wasn’t. We were both praying that it would still be there in the morning and that no one walked off with it.  Right then a campus safety officer came by, and he opened the building and Scott retrieved his computer. God is good.

 

Wednesday evening, we had a store party.  This was the most important “goodbye” to me.  I wanted to have it so that I could express my love and respect to these amazing students whom I love like my own grandchildren.  And I wanted to bare testimony to them so that I could go home knowing that they knew that I have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints. We had arranged to meet outside at the stake center pavilion.  The wind was blowing so hard that it was difficult having a conversation with the person next to you let alone addressing the entire group.  Luckily the stake center was open, and we moved the party inside. That was a huge tender mercy.  It was a wonderful party with lots of hugs, tears, pictures, good food, singing and well wishes. Several of the students stood up and expressed publicly their love to us.  It was one of those times you feel like you are attending your own funeral.  It was very sweet. God is good.

 

Our car has been up for sale for weeks with no success with selling it. Thursday night Scott and I talked about the reality of shipping our car home because we didn’t have any takers and were running out of time.  The logistics of doing that by the time we left felt overwhelming and I went to bed very concerned and anxious about it. I slept fitfully but several times through the night, the thought came to my mind, “you will sell it on Saturday.” I woke up happy Friday morning knowing that it would sell. And I would exercise my faith in that direction.  God is good.

 

Friday morning, we had our exit interview with President Grace (the PCC president).  It was another nice interview thanking us for our service and giving us some lovely gifts. After the interview, I had a text message that someone wanted to come and test drive our car.  That person later offered a price to buy it—it was very low, and we haggled a bit and settled on an amount.  She came back on Saturday with the money to buy it.  It sold on Saturday as I was told by the spirit. Five minutes later a friend brought over an extra car that they have right now for us to use until we go home.  God is good.  

 

Saturday morning, we had one of the sweetest experiences we have had here.  A coworker of Scott’s brought his family (wife and five children) over to our apartment to say goodbye.  The father was on his guitar and one son (nine years old) on an ukulele.  The whole family played and sang and harmonized together.  The words were sung in Hawaiian, and I didn’t understand one word, but I loved it so much.  The kids are talented and sang with enthusiasm. They did another song and Jarom’s  wife got up and hula danced as they all sang.  It was beautiful and expressive.  It was such a treat.  Jarom thanked Scott for all he had done for him.  Jarom told us that he was a better man now than 18 months ago because of the conversations he had had with Elder Bleak and all he had learned from Scott, and that those lessons would bless generations to come. He turned to his children and said that he is a more patient man now because of Elder Bleak.   I felt the spirit and know that is one reason we were sent to this mission.  We are going home with our cups full. God is good.

 

Later that day, we met Renz (a student who used to work at our store but is now a tour guide for the PCC). He wanted to give Scott and I a personal tour of the PCC. We had never done that before.  It was wonderful.  I felt such appreciation for the culture of each group of people and how they honor and pass down their culture. I loved having that experience and am so glad that we took the time to do it. We rode the canoe from one end of the PCC to the other end, and not too long into our ride, it began pouring.  Not just raining but pouring.  We got drenched.  The rain stopped when we got to our destination.  I have been able to dodge every downpour while living here until that event.  When you are on a boat, you can’t go for cover.  There is nothing you can do. We looked like drowned rats.

 

Today was also a very special day.  The ward members sang “Aloha Oe” to us at the end of sacrament meeting.  I was more emotional than I thought I would be.  Then tonight at “break the fast” dinner was our “Aloha Oe” from the senior missionaries. As the missionaries sang to us, I scanned the plaza full of people I have gotten to know and love, I felt such love and gratefulness for being able to be here.  God is good. 

 

When we flew over here on the plane 18 months ago, I wondered what my feelings would be like when it was time to go home.  My greatest desire was that I would feel like I had made a difference to at least to one person and that my heartstrings would be pulled because there would be many that I would miss. I also hoped that I could see ways that I had changed for the better.  I think all those things are true for me.  I am so thankful for this amazing experience.  I pray that I can hold on to the good things. I know that the title of “missionary” will be removed soon, but I will always be a true disciple of Jesus Christ. I bare witness that He is the Savior and Redeemer.

Mahalo for your support!  God is so very good!

 

 

We can’t wait to see you in four days.  

Much love,

Sister Bleak, Mom, Grandma

 

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*Scott was able to get into the Grant building at 10:30 at night. The security guard was there at the very moment Scott needed him. His computer was safe.

*The wind was blowing hard at the stake center pavilion, but we were able to go inside and have a nice, quiet place to celebrate.

*The spirit told me that we would sell our car. 

*We were able to sell our car.  And five minutes later a friend brought her extra car for us to drive until Wednesday night.

*We have felt much love and appreciation from many in the past week.

 

Things we will not Miss:

Our “toy vacuum”  

Sharing a washer and dryer in the garage

Not having an alternative route when Kam highway gets shut down.

Our beds 

The heat and humidity of the summer

Standing at work for long hours

Working at the “ask me” stations.

The parties and traffic at “the point”

Having no central air

Constant unrelenting high winds

Wet spices in the spice cabinet

$5.00 a gallon gas

Driving an hour to Costco

A layer of salt on everything

Writing the weekly email.

 

Things we will miss:

The People!  Missionaries, students, coworkers

Hearing the sacrament prayer said in broken English especially by Samisoni Taumoepenun

Hidden Beach

The Point—viewing it daily

Watching the waves

Sunrises and sunsets

Our morning walks

The beautiful scenery every time we drive some place

The Aloha spirit—It is real!

Performances by the islanders

The faith of the students

Conversations with the students

The spirit and beauty at the PCC

Concerts at BYUH

The air quality index (it never got above 45)

The casualness of the dress here

 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu