Happy New Year

January 2, 2022   

Email #14

 

Aloha Family and Happy New year!

 

The Hawaiians really celebrate New Year’s Eve big here—at least in Laie.  I have never heard so many fireworks go off in my life and for hours and hours.  We were all exhausted that night so we went to bed early and didn’t celebrate much at all.  I now regret not driving around town and seeing all the home fireworks because we heard they were just incredible.  We will have to do that next year.

 

The biggest celebration this week was that Katelyn arrived here safe and sound.  Her flight made it here even though it was a couple hours delayed and arrived about midnight.  Jordan and Faith were kind enough to go pick her up—the airport is an hour away without any traffic.  It has been so much fun to have all three of them here with us for a few days. Jordan and Faith flew home yesterday (Saturday) and Katelyn will be here all week which we are so excited for. We miss Jordan and Faith already. 

 

As you know, Scott and I have the responsibility of working at one of the dinner venues one night each week.  This week it was at the “Gateway Buffet”.  We were not going to eat there after our shift like we normally do because Jordan and Faith would not be able to eat with us. The venue has been sold out for quite some time.  We were just going to grab something with them after our shift, before they went to the “Ha show” that evening.  I was really wishing that we could all eat at the Gateway together.  Early on in scanning tickets, someone gave Scott a ticket and said, “Here is an extra ticket if you find someone who can use it—pass it on.”  My first feeling was excitement but then I realized it actually didn’t do us any good because we only had one ticket and needed two for Jordan and Faith to join us.  So I began praying every once in a while that just maybe we could be given another ticket.  I just have to say—we have NEVER been given a ticket EVER while working at either of the Luau venues since we got here.  NOR have we EVER heard of anyone else being given a ticket, so what are the chances of TWO being given to us in one evening—about zero.  But it happened right at the end of our shift.  Someone else told Scott that they had an extra ticket if we knew someone who could use it. Jordan and Faith were excited to try the buffet and we all got to eat there together.  God is so good.  We all got to enjoy our meal together and the Gateway buffet.  The next day I asked two of my good friends who have served here a long time if they had ever been given an “extra” buffet ticket to someone who might need it and they each said—“NEVER”.  

 

The week between Christmas and New Years is traditionally the busiest week of the year for the PCC, which means our store is also busy then.  Add to that—student employees gone for Christmas break and others out sick, those of us left were very busy on Tuesday.  I ended up working much longer than I normally do and teaching a lot of ukulele lessons.  I’m not sure I will be a big fan of “You are my Sunshine” in the future.  Scott woke up with really bad vertigo Tuesday morning and was not able to go to Waimea Falls with Jordan and Faith.  He had to stay home all day for fear of being too dizzy and nauseous to function.

 

I got to take work off on Wednesday from the warehouse to spend time with Jordan and Faith.  The warehouse is not busy this time of year and has extra help from students who don’t go home for Christmas.  I was so thankful that Scott was feeling well enough to come with us as well.   We went to Honolulu to the swap meet.  There were tons of booths of souvenirs that tourists love.  Next we went to Haleiwa.  Faith kept telling us that Matsuomotos has the best shave ice in the world, so we had to try it. I haven’t seen a line that long in a long time.  It took 30-40 minutes to get through but was worth the wait.  It really was wonderful.  Evidently the line is always that long no matter the time of day.  That’s how you know it is a good place. 

 

I got permission from my manager to take Thursday off since some of the students would be back to work that day. The five of us went to Honolulu to hike Diamond Head.  When we got there, the parking lot was full so Jordan dropped us off and went to find parking down the hill—intending to jog back up and join us.  Eventually, he called and said that he couldn’t find parking anywhere.  He had driven around for a while and could not find a place to park and he would be so far away that he just wasn’t going to go with us on the hike.  Well—I wasn’t going to let that happen.  Scott and I would have another chance to do this hike—he wouldn’t, so I said that I would sit in the car while they all did the hike.  As soon as I got into the car and drove away, I began praying that I could find a place to park that was close so that I wouldn’t get lost.  I came to a “T”, decided to turn right and came to a small parking area—it was full.  I then came to another small parking area and decided to wait there a minute to see where I was and get my bearings.  Soon, I saw rear lights on a car.  A car was leaving!  I found a place!  They left, I parked and thanked God for being so good to me.  I decided to get out and go for a walk while I waited for them.  Then I decided to go back to the park and wait for them there.  I wasn’t sure how far I was from the entrance but began walking up the hill.  I realized that I didn’t have my wallet with me to purchase another ticket to do the hike.  At 8/10 of a mile I came to the ticket taker and explained the situation—we had already paid for five but only four went in etc and the guy let me in.  Then my goal was to go up the trail until I met them coming down and join them for the walk down. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to see the 360 degree view that hike is famous for, but I could get good exercise in.  I began wondering if there was another way down because they never came and never came as I kept walking up.  Finally, when I got to the LONG set of stairs that marks the ending, Jordan came out of the tunnel and saw me and said, “what?”  It was so fun to see the reaction on his face.  I told them the story after we got to the top (they went back up with me).  Jordan asked over and over again, “where did you find a parking place” because it had been so difficult for him to find anything.  I was so excited that I made it to the top and got to do the whole thing!  I know that prayers are answered!

 

We took Jordan and Faith to the airport Saturday evening. The rain was coming down very hard at times and we ran into a lot of puddles in the road.  At one point, we hit a super big pot hole and I screamed it was so big—(Ok, I know that it doesn’t take that much to make me scream, but it really was a big one). Scott asked me to begin praying that the car would function and we would be able to make it to the airport.  We made it there and back home without any problems.   I was really happy to get home safely.  

 

A highlight today was being able to be on a FaceTime call with Nathan and Steph while William and Henry were ordained a Teacher and Deacon.  I am so thankful for the technology that allows us to be involved in those things.  It was very special and Nathan gave these two boys very personal, beautiful blessings.  

 

We were supposed to have a departing devotional this evening with Elder and Sister King, but it got cancelled because of high covid numbers.  They leave to go home tomorrow and will be greatly missed.  We will meet the new mission president and his wife on Tuesday evening. 

 

I apologize for this email feeling like a “vacation report” instead of sharing missionary experiences.  But I hope you caught the theme throughout the week of having prayers answered and being watched over.  I know that God hears us and helps us even in small, simple ways.  He is so good! 

 

We love you.  Have a wonderful week!

 

Much love,

Sister Bleak, Mom, Grandma, Gayle

 

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*The four of us got to eat together at the Gateway buffet because of a small miracle. 

*The warehouse was slow enough right now that I got to miss work and spend time with the family.

*Katelyn arrived here safe and sound.

*I was helped to get a parking place and was able to hike Diamond Head.

*Our car still functioned after hitting the deep sink hole (pot hole).

*Being able to be “in attendance” for William and Henry’s ordinations.

 

 

December 31, 2021

Hike up Koko Crater Trail 

Story by Scott

 

Katelyn and I joined Jordan and Faith for the day with a hike up Koko Crater just next door to Hanauma Bay at the southern end of Oahu. This trail is straight up the side of a volcano cone and uses railroad ties and tracks to make its way up the mountain. The ties are the steps up the mountain, which is very steep. I'm not sure how long the hike was, but some people run up the very steep incline for exercise. I only hiked up not quite halfway. I didn't really try to go any further, though I thought I could have made it. Katelyn and Faith made it to the top along with Jordan. Of course, it was no big deal for him.

 

Since I didn't go to the top, I came back down and along the way down, I ran into a lady that looked like she was struggling a bit. I asked her if she needed any help, but she declined my offer of assistance. But when we arrived at the bottom, we joined in conversation as we both waited for our kids to make it down the trial, which was more than thirty minutes. Her name was Shelly. She and her son are living there with her father who lives nearby this trail. She told me about a serious brain seizure she had just over a year ago that took her speech and a few other functions that she has had to work very hard to get back. I told her about why my wife and I are living on the Island, that we are serving as missionaries for our church and told her the name of our church, which she recognized and had a friend who was a member. While we waited, the sprinkles turned into rain that didn't let up. I helped her get her rain jacket on while I just continued to get more wet without one. I didn't want to break away from our conversation to sit in the car, which I could have done to stay dry. She said she didn't believe in God, but I said that I believe there is a God and that He is still there whether people believe it or not pointing to the beauty of the island around us. We were just looking at six little birds with red heads and were amazed at their beauty. (I later learned they are the red-crested cardinal.) I invited her to look to God who is still there and to come to church if she felt a need. She didn't really engage in any further conversation about God. But I tried to put the thought in her mind. She was a very nice and friendly lady. We didn't end our conversation until Jordan, Faith and Katelyn showed up at our car. Her son had not yet shown up, but we all wished her well and hoped her son would show up soon.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu