Culture Night

Sunday March 20, 2022   

Email #25

 

Aloha Family and Friends!

 

“Only in Hawaii!!!…”---that was what the speaker in sacrament meeting said today when he finally noticed that a mother hen and her three chicks had come into the room where we were holding sacrament meeting.  Many of us noticed much earlier and wondered if we should try to shoo them out or ignore them.  That’s a first for us.  But before that event, a new couple from China were asked to come up and give a brief testimony because they were sealed in the temple last Tuesday.  In his very broken English, the husband told about meeting his wife on line and how she wouldn’t get serious with him unless he became a member of the church.  After “dating” long distance for two years and him becoming a member of the church, they were married and now finally sealed together.  She talked about what a different feeling she has now after being sealed—a feeling that she couldn’t put into words.  They were such a sweet, tender testimonies and I reflected on how we take our sealing for granted at times and we should remember what an incredible gift that is and that our lives ARE different because of that. 

 

The biggest social event of the year for BYU happened this week.  It is called “Culture Night” and was VERY big this year because they haven’t been able to hold it since 2019 because of covid.  It was held on both Friday and Saturday nights—for three hours each night (no breaks in between performances I might add).  There were 27 clubs on campus that performed for about 12 minutes each, showing off their culture with song, dance and costume.   Half of the clubs were on Friday, the other half on Saturday.  It was absolutely amazing.  And it was truly a miracle that we were in attendance.  Because Hawaii is still concerned about social events with regards to covid—they would only let a certain number into the event. In the past the whole community would pack into the Cannon event center but not this year.  You had to have a ticket.  I went on Wednesday to get tickets and learned that PCC senior missionaries (and community members) could not get tickets but could come back Friday morning and wait in line for any tickets that might still available.  BYU missionaries got to get tickets in advance but not us—(yes, I had to fight feelings of jealousy and resentment!)  I walked into an office in that same building after being told—no tickets, and talked with some BYU senior missionaries to get more information about what time I should be there and how long they thought the line might be.  I was fine watching the streamed performances for one night but I had a GREAT desire to attend live at least one of the nights.  So, I did the only thing I could do when you’re not in control—PRAY!  That very afternoon one of those BYU missionaries texted me and said that someone had turned in some tickets and I could come and get them.  We were very excited to be able to go and felt so blessed that we got tickets.  And they were on the fifth row!

I was really struck by several things concerning culture night. 

*It meant so much to these young people to have this event and to perform in it.

*They put in the work—many months of practice.

*They had so much fun.  Their faces reflected pure joy.

*They love and honor their culture.

*Those not of their culture (but in the club) embraced the culture and learned about it. 

*These young people are not “real performers” but the talent was truly amazing.

*The young people were involved in something so wholesome instead of other college campuses where partying usually involves alcohol and drugs.

*The boys/men are just as willing/happy to dance and sing as the women are.  They embrace their culture.

*The unity of the entire group of students was great to watch.  They were all so supportive and excited about each other’s performance. 

 

We had luau duty on Monday evening.  I got to sit at the back of the venue this time.  That is something I’ve never done before. My main job is to direct people to the restroom and allow them back into the venue.  The nice thing—and a first for me, was that I got to see the boys take the pig out of the Emu oven (pit in the ground) and walk the pig into the luau.  That was pretty cool.  One of the patrons asked me how long it takes to bake the pig.  I told them I thought it took most of the day but I wasn’t sure so I decided to look it up on the web.  I found out that a 100 pound pig takes eight hours and a 200 pound pig takes 12-14 hours. Just in case any of you want to bake a pig.

 

Well—I can go home at the end of our mission knowing that I have made a difference at the PCC.  Hopa Home (store) got a railing behind their store because of my fall off the ledge.  I may have saved a life!  I now can say that I left my mark at the PCC!!!

 

I just want you to know how much your support means to us.  We love being here and feel so blessed to be serving right now in this capacity.

 

 

Much love,

 

Sister Bleak, grandma, mom, Gayle

 

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

 

*I got a big hug and (tears in her eyes) from Susana when I gave her a tip after eating at the Gateway.  I finally feel like we are making a small difference with some of the students there.

*I felt prompted to reach out to Mark and Marklyn to see how they were doing.  I found out that they really appreciated my small act.  They needed it. No one had asked about them since the funeral. 

*I was able to get tickets for both nights for cultural night. That’s a miracle.

*I felt the spirit during our temple session. We haven’t been able to attend since December because of it being closed for remodel. 

*I felt the excitement and joy of watching the performances at each of the culture nights.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu