Down Day, Busy Day, Frustrating Day, Exhausting Day--All in a Week

Sunday April 10, 2022   

Email #28  

 

Aloha family and friends!

 

First of all-- Congrats to Finn on your baptism!!! We are thrilled for you.  

 

I continued to go in to Mahinalani (the name of our store) early each day to learn how to open the store in preparation of the Scovilles going home.  I am putting a book together for them from the students (and missionaries) who work at the store as a surprise farewell gift.  Thanks to Scott!!!  I would never be able to do this on my own.  I am so grateful for the hours he has spent in getting it ready for printing.  It’s been more work than I anticipated to gather the notes of well wishes.  The other thing that will be an adjustment when they leave is taking over as the main teacher for the senior missionary ukulele class each Monday night.  I have big shoes to fill. 

 

I felt really down on Tuesday and part of Wednesday.  I’m not sure why exactly. It’s not like me to feel that way.  I think one problem was I had not been sleeping very well and was physically and emotionally tired but also didn’t feel fulfilled or that I was making a difference with anything.  It helped to go to the marriage enrichment class Wednesday night and connect with the young married couples. While sitting in class, I had the strong feeling that we ARE making a difference in small but real ways, and we just need to continue to do our best.  

  

Wednesday at the warehouse when we had prayer meeting, Shelly (she is over all the retail stores at the PCC) shared an experience.   Though not a member of the church, she likes to listen to general conference—not necessarily the whole thing, but usually most of it.  She listened to President Nelson’s talk (The Power of Spiritual Momentum) on Sunday morning and said that after his talk, she decided to contact a family member and mend a fence that needed to be mended.  It went well, and she never would have done that if she hadn’t of listened to President Nelson’s talk.  “How can we expect peace to exist in the world when we are not individually seeking peace and harmony?  Brothers and sisters, I know what I’m suggesting is not easy.  But followers of Jesus Christ should set the example for all the world to follow.  I plead with you to do all you can to end personal conflicts that are currently raging in your hearts and in your lives.”

 

I don’t think that I have had a busier day on our mission than Thursday. Scott and I had a “genuine gold” meeting at 9:00 am that lasted an hour and a half.  I went home and finished getting ready for work.  I met Candi at noon to find out how to get the key to open our store.  I opened the store and set up the registers and turned on all the electrical items.  We had boxes and boxes of product to check in that day—way more than a usual amount.  There were 11 boxes of ukuleles and also shirts, jewelry, candy, keychains, leis, etc.  It was amazing how many boxes of product there was. The store was busy all day with customers.  I taught several lessons at our store and then Randy (from the “mission settlement”) came to our store and asked if I would go down there at 4:00 to help them out.  The only problem was that Scott was coming at about that same time to take pictures for the Scoville book.  I had him come a little earlier and I made it all work.  I went to the settlement and taught lessons almost non-stop.  I’m not sure how many lessons I taught that day between the two stores, but it may have been a record.  After helping there, I went back to our store and finished my shift.  I never got a lunch break or any kind of break the whole day.  I was happy to go home and put my feet up, but the upside is that the day really did go fast, and I felt happy.  I love having variety in my day.

 

Friday was a very frustrating day at work.  I worked with a very nice couple for at least an hour—probably longer-- teaching a lesson, talking, explaining, showing etc ukuleles. The wife wanted to buy her husband a uke for his birthday coming up next week. He wanted a tenor size and I showed him several options and he fell in love with the spalded maple Islander brand.  The wife sent the husband outside with the kids so she could buy it without seeing which one he would be getting.  In addition, she purchased a very nice case, and the total bill was close to $500.00 after all was said and done and after she paid to have “the islands” engraved on it.  Our student engraver assured me and her that he could engrave on that particular wood.  And my stomach dropped.  I don’t trust engraving anymore—too many mess ups, and I get nervous when anyone wants it done.  She left the store and the next thing I know is that Rex is spraying and wiping and trying to fix something on the ukulele.  Well—the engraving didn’t work on that particular wood and it looked terrible!  The big Island was dark and the other Islands were hardly visible and just looked like a mistake.  The ukulele was ruined.  But Rex didn’t think so.  He just put it in the case as if nothing happened.  I pointed out that we couldn’t give it to her like that.  We had to make it right and offer them either a new ukulele or give them a discount on this one. I will spare you all the details, but it was very frustrating, and I was upset by all of the “solutions” the employees were offering—trying to pass if off as being OK.  I couldn’t get a hold of the woman to explain the situation.  Her voice mail was full.  I began praying that she would call me back before I had to leave.  She finally did and I explained everything to her.  She chose to take the discount and keep that particular ukulele. Sidenote—each spalded maple ukulele has a very unique look, so a new one would not have been the one her husband chose.  I wish we could throw the engraving machine away!

 

Saturday was a most exhausting day. When we found out that we wouldn’t be able to participate in Finn’s baptism by zoom, Scott and I decided to join Brent and Ilene and go to Kaena point and do a six mile hike with them.  I am really glad that we did, but I’m also glad that it’s over with and I can check that off my bucket list and I never want to do that one again.  There wasn’t a stitch of shade the entire way and it was pretty hot. Luckily, I took an umbrella for shade.  Even though the ground was fairly level, it was more rocky than I anticipated and I tripped several times, especially on the way back.  We were told that it was a beautiful hike along the coastline. But at times, we were so far inland and couldn’t see the ocean.  Most of the time I was looking at my feet so that I wouldn’t fall.  But I loved the company, so it was all worth it.  At the destination we did see albatross and one monk seal and the scenery was spectacular—another win.

 

We also had luau duty that evening (two more hours of standing) and a get together for two departing missionaries later that night. We were exhausted but we were very glad that went to the departure party.  It was such a nice tribute to the two of them. They will be greatly missed.  And we felt the spirit as they shared with us the things they felt on their mission and the things they would miss. 

 

Even though I experienced the most down day, the busiest day, the most frustrating day, and most exhausting day of our entire mission—all in the same week—it was a great week and I’m so very grateful to be here and experience it all!

 

Enjoy the journey! 

 

Much love,

Sister Bleak

 

 

How I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week:

*We were able to get into a notary (Monday) after trying three times. 

*I felt the spirit whispering to me that we are making a difference here. 

*I received promptings on how to proceed with the “genuine gold” program.

*I had the physical strength to make it through the busiest day since arriving here.

*I prayed that the customer would call me since her voice mail was full and I couldn’t leave a message. 

*The customer was satisfied with the solution I proposed to “make right” her ruined ukulele.

*The spirit at the “farewell party” for two senior couples was in abundance and tangible.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names

Exit Interview

Honolulu